Boost Your Brainpower with these 10 Foods
Eating well is good for your mental as well as your physical health. The brain requires nutrients just like your heart, lungs or other muscles do. Here are 10 foods which are particularly important in keeping our brain happy.
1. WHOLEGRAINS Opt for brown cereals, wheatbran, granary bread & brown pasta. These give you energy which will keep you mentally alert throughout the day.
2. OILY FISH The most effective omega-3 fats can be found naturally in oily fish such as salmon, trout, mackerel, herring, sardines pilchards & kippers. These are all good for healthy brain function & also good for the heart & joints.
3. BLUEBERRIES The consumption of blueberries may be effective in improving or delaying short-term memory loss.
4. TOMATOES Lycopene, a powerful antioxidant found in tomatoes, could help protect against the damage to cells which occurs in the development of dementia, particularly Alzheimer’s.
5. VITAMINS Certain B vitamins – B6, B12 & folic acid are known to reduce levels of homocysteine in the blood. High levels of homocysteine are associated with increased risk of stroke, brain deterioration and Alzheimer’s.
6. BLACKCURRANTS Vitamin C is thought to have the power to increase mental agility. One of the best sources can be found in blackcurrants.
7. PUMPKIN SEEDS A handful of pumpkin seeds a day will give you your recommended daily amount of zinc, vital for enhancing memory & thinking skills. Sprinkle some on your cereal.
8. BROCCOLI A great source of vitamin K, which is known to enhance brain function & improve brainpower.
9. SAGE Sage has a reputation for improving the memory.
10. NUTS Nuts contain vitamin E which will help in maintaining a healthy brain.
Do you have any tips on the subject of Eating for a Healthy Brain?
Please share them with us in the Comments box